By Jessica Heath
I love a rich dessert with an obvious confection story- even better when easily prepped ahead and served with a flourish of whipped pudding. Who doesn’t love butterscotch? It’s such a malleable taste we can layer on, especially when we add liqueurs like Amaretto, Cointreau, and Tia Maria. It just takes that old childhood favourite into adult territory – it’s that touch of sophistication you want during the holiday season. Fun. Nostalgic. Festive. A perfectly fond dinner party treat.
Garnish with chocolate-covered cashew, walnuts, or macadamia nuts. A sprinkle of grated chocolate, with a piquant surprise of freeze-dried cherries. If time is not on your side, there’s always whipped cream. Oooh-la-la.
BUTTERSCOTCH SPELL Serves ( 6-8 )
- 350 ml whole milk
- 35g corn flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 45g unsalted butter
- Pinch of nutmeg powder
- Pinch of cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp Amaretto (optional)
- 450 ml double cream
- 150 ml to serve (optional)
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 25g dark chocolate to serve (optional)
- In a large bowl, gradually stir the milk into the cornflour. Once incorporated, mix in the egg yolks and salt.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan, once melted, turn the heat to medium high and beat in the sugar. Beat until the sugar has melted and you have a dark smooth liquid. Take the pan off the heat and slowly stir in the 200ml of double cream. Return the pan to the heat to melt any clumps of sugar.
- Gradually stir the cream mixture into the egg mixture. Return to the pan and place over a medium heat for a few minutes constantly stirring, until you have a thick custard. Cover the surface with damp baking parchment or foil and cool off to room temperature.
- Whisk the remaining 250ml cream with the vanilla, until you reach soft peaks, then fold through the custard. Use electric beaters to whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt to stiff peaks; fold into the pudding. Scoop the pudding into small glasses, cover and chill for 2 hours, ideally overnight. Whisk the remaining cream 150ml cream, and top with grated chocolate if using.